There’s well over a foot of snow on the ground and I don’t plan to leave the house anytime soon. Tonight is all about loading up my e-reader with new things to read. (Well, that and eating too many post-holiday leftover snacks!)
Just Read/Currently Reading:
- Barbara Comyns, The Skin Chairs
- Sara Levine, Treasure Island!!!
- Julia Kristeva, The Severed Head: Capital Visions
- Michelle Alexander, The New Jim Crow
- Clarice Lispector, The Hour of the Star
- James Baldwin, Notes of a Native Son
What did you read and love this year?
YES, THEY’RE ALL GAY, BUT THE SEVEN MCS IN THIS PORTFOLIO ARE AS DIFFERENT FROM ONE ANOTHER AS KANYE AND LIL WAYNE, WITH INFLUENCES THAT RANGE FROM NAS TO BJÖRK TO JEAN COCTEAU. YET THEY DO HAVE ONE OTHER BIG THING IN COMMON: THEY’RE INDELIBLY CHANGING THE FACE—AND SOUND—OF RAP.
The wording of this article weirds me out (conflating “gay” and “queer”), but I’m glad these folks are getting the exposure. Mykki fanclub 2k12!
(Source: secretaryofswagriculture, via yoursecretary)
"Thank God. I’m happy he’s still alive and we won’t have to keep hearing about his boring books. It’s very generous of him to stop."